Israel Likely To Intensify Bombardment Ahead Of Ceasefire

The temporary ceasefire in Gaza ended on Friday after being extended for another day on November 30 after Hamas fired a rocket toward Israel on Friday morning, CBS News reported.

According to the Israeli Defense Forces, it resumed combat in Gaza on December 1 after Hamas violated the conditions of the ceasefire agreement.

The temporary ceasefire began on November 24 and was scheduled to last only four days. But on Tuesday, Hamas and Israel agreed to extend the truce for two more days. Shortly before the extension was set to expire on Thursday, Israel agreed to extend the temporary truce for another 24 hours.

About one hour before the 7:00 a.m. deadline on December 1, the IDF reported that its missile defense system detected and intercepted a rocket from Gaza. In its statement on social media, the IDF said that Hamas “violated the operational pause” by firing a rocket “toward Israeli territory,” therefore combat in Gaza had resumed.

During the temporary ceasefire, Hamas released more than 100 of the hostages it took on October 7. All of the released hostages were women and children.

However, under the truce, for each hostage released by Hamas, Israel had to release at least two Hamas prisoners. More than 240 Hamas prisoners were freed during the ceasefire.

During the final day of the ceasefire, only 8 hostages, ranging in age from 17 to 41, were released while 30 Hamas prisoners in Israel were freed.

Thursday’s ceasefire remained in place despite an early morning terrorist attack in Jerusalem when two gunmen opened fire at a crowded bus stop, killing at least three and wounding six others.

Secretary of State Antony Blinken, who was in Israel to meet with Prime Minister Netanyahu and the war cabinet, confirmed that two Americans were among the wounded.

Hamas later claimed responsibility for the shooting, saying it was in response to Wednesday’s fatal shooting of two Palestinian boys, ages 15 and 8, at the Jenin refugee camp.