North Korea’s leader Kim Jong Un declared Tuesday at a massive military parade exhibiting his most powerful intercontinental ballistic missiles that the country will swiftly enhance its nuclear weapons.
North Korea has resumed nuclear testing despite harsh sanctions, contrary to experts’ predictions. North Korea has tested a succession of forbidden weapons this year while disregarding US offers of discussions.
Late Monday, state media said that Kim and his wife Ri Sol-ju watched as tanks, rocket launchers, and North Korea’s biggest ICBMs were paraded across Pyongyang.
According to a Korean Central News Agency translation of his address, Kim promised to strengthen and enhance our nation’s nuclear capabilities quickly.
Negotiations to persuade Kim to give up his nuclear weapons programs have failed, and he warned Monday that if North Korea’s core interests were challenged, he might use his arsenal.
He said North Korea is ready to deploy nuclear deterrence and that any state pursuing armed conflict would be conquered.
North Korea halted long-range and nuclear testing while Kim met with then-US President Donald Trump in 2019.
On the day of the Trump-Kim summit, Pyongyang shot an ICBM at the full range for the first time since 2017. Satellite imagery reveals activity at a nuclear testing facility that was supposedly razed in 2018.
According to Hong Min of the Korea Institute for National Unification in Seoul, Kim’s remarks might signify a shift in his nuclear strategy, allowing for the prospect of ‘nuclear first use’ rather than only deterrence and defense.
According to Yang Moo-jin of Seoul’s University of North Korean Studies, Kim’s statements may have been intended at South Korean President-elect Yoon Suk-yeo.
Yang Moo-jin, a North Korean Studies professor, said that Kim is suddenly talking more precisely about his nuclear weapons. Kim appears to be tacitly stating he may have to retaliate with nuclear measures if South Korea’s president-elect Yoon does continue.
Yoon’s transition team slammed Pyongyang for constructing weapons while claiming to be open to discussions.
Deputy spokesperson Won Il-hee said that the parade demonstrated North Korea’s recent concentration on building means to threaten the Korean peninsula and Northeast Asia and global peace.
Won pledged to reinforce the US alliance and speed up weapons development to bolster Seoul’s deterrent.
According to Cheong Seong-chang of the private Sejong Institute, Kim may have conveyed a hidden message by wearing his white uniform with the marshal’s insignia.
He has declared the North an adversary and aims to build pre-emptive attack capability.’
North Koreans in traditional clothing waved flags and flowers as giant black-and-white missile launchers drove through Kim Il Sung Square.
The Hwasong-17 ICBM, which the North claims to have successfully tested on March 24, was among the weapons on display, according to KCNA.
It was then that the country’s most advanced ICBM was successfully launched, with spectacular photographs and footage of Chairman Kim personally witnessing the test.
According to South Korean and US intelligence sources, North Korea shot a Hwasong-15 ICBM, which it had already tested in 2017.
According to NK News’ Chad O’Carroll, the North Korean military display on Monday didn’t demonstrate any new capabilities despite the fanfare.
‘Stills reveal this was a re-rerun of the stunning and ground-breaking Oct. 2020 parade,’ he wrote in a tweet.
North Korea has military parades to honor significant festivals and occasions, frequently including thousands of troops, a cavalcade of armored vehicles and tanks, and a demonstration of strategic missiles.
Some experts believe North Korea’s latest weapons development may be revealed.