NASCAR Contractor Dies After Electrocution

A contractor working for NASCAR tragically lost his life due to electrocution while preparing for the Chicago Street Race.

The Cook County Medical Examiner identified the deceased, who passed away on Friday, as 53-year-old Duane Tabinski. 

In 2006, Duane dedicated himself to the field of audio engineering. This endeavor commenced in his garage and eventually gave birth to his live event production company aptly named “DUANE,” quite literally making a name for himself.

“He personifies the American dream,” his friend Chris Chapman declared.

Duane’s relentless efforts bore fruit; over time, he secured assignments for several top-tier performers and large-scale events, pursuing his passion nationwide, naturally with Music City in the mix, contributing to productions from the Municipal Auditorium to the CMA Music Festival. 

Working with NASCAR, however, was always his aspiration.

“Duane was a man of many dreams. He was among the most inventive individuals I’ve ever encountered. 

Whatever dream he pursued, he accomplished it,” Chapman elucidated, highlighting Duane’s exceptional work ethic.

However, it was Duane’s personality that indeed left a lasting impression on Chapman.

Tabinski founded an events company contracted to set up audio equipment for the race, as reported by local station WLS-TV.

In a statement, NASCAR stated that a worker had “experienced a fatal medical crisis” on Friday. 

“We are liaising with local authorities regarding this tragic incident,” the race organizers mentioned. “Our condolences go out to the family and their loved ones.”

Chicago police reported that emergency services transported Tabinski from the racecourse to Northwestern Memorial Hospital, where he was declared dead on Friday morning, per WLS-TV. 

The Chicago Street Race, set to speed past downtown city landmarks on Sunday evening, marks the first street race in the history of the NASCAR Cup Series.

Duane resided in Hermitage with his wife, Kristin. 

She mentioned that they are awaiting the report from the Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) as they endeavor to bring him back home from Chicago.