Non-Binary Official Found Dead Inside Home

Aguascalientes, a state in central Mexico, has reported the death of Mexico’s first openly non-binary jurist and a notable LGBTQ+ campaigner.

A report shows that the “they/them” pronoun user Jesús Ociel Baena was well-admired in the region for his activism on behalf of the LGBTQ+ group.

Baena taught at the Autonomous University of Aguascalientes and served as a judge at the Aguascalientes State Electoral Institute. He was a pioneer in pushing for a language change, rejecting the gendered Spanish words that designate nouns as masculine or feminine.

The Mexican government is looking into what caused the death, according to Rosa Icela Rodrguez, the minister of security.

During the president’s daily news conference, she said that authorities are still investigating the incident and have not determined whether it was a murder or an accident.

According to a statement released by the Aguascalientes state prosecutor’s office, Baena and another individual, who local media have named as Baena’s partner, were discovered dead together.
Initial investigations found no signs of foul play and determined that the deaths were likely because of personal matters.

The law enforcement officials had begun conducting a forensic study to ascertain the exact cause of death, the agency added.

LGBTQ+ rights organization Letra S director Alejandro Brito claimed that Baena’s online presence rendered him a target, and he requested police to examine this in their probe.

Baena would often post videos and images of himself in courtrooms and advocacy settings while dressed in women’s garments and carrying a rainbow fan to his many followers on social media.
Hours after Baena and his companion were discovered deceased, Jesús Figueroa Ortega, the Aguascalientes state attorney general, claimed both persons were found clutching razor blades, which undoubtedly inflicted their wounds.

During a news conference, Figueroa said there were no fingerprints or other forensic evidence of an unauthorized individual being inside the residence.

After checking the surveillance footage, the two people were seen around 1:00 a.m. entering the home. They can confirm that nobody else had entered the home at any other time.