Secret Service Shoots Intruder

( Last Wednesday, an intruder attempting to break into the Washington DC residence of Peru’s ambassador was shot and killed by Secret Service officers.

The incident occurred shortly before 8:00 am after the ambassador’s family heard windows breaking and called the police to report a burglary. Secret Service officers arrived at the scene and found someone in the backyard of the property.

According to DC Metropolitan Police Chief Robert Contee, the suspect, armed with a metal stake, began approaching the officers. The officers used Tasers on the suspect. But when the Tasers didn’t appear to stop him, the two officers opened fire. The suspect was pronounced dead at the scene.

Contee said both Oswaldo de Rivero, the Peruvian ambassador, and his wife were home at the time, but nobody was hurt.

Contee told reporters that they don’t know why the suspect had smashed the windows or why he was armed with a metal stake. He said the two officers involved were taken to the hospital to be evaluated, adding that he didn’t know the extent of their injuries, only that the injuries were not life-threatening.

In an interview later in the day, Ambassador de Rivero said the suspect smashed the windows with a metal pole. Two embassy employees went outside and began fighting with the intruder while the ambassador shouted for someone to call the police.

The Secret Service, which is charged with protecting foreign diplomats in Washington, arrived within minutes. Ambassador de Rivero said he witnessed the encounter between the intruder and Secret Service. He said when the suspect charged at the officers, they attempted to subdue him with a stun gun, but the suspect continued toward the officers, prompting them to shoot the man, de Rivero said.

Chief Contee said the suspect was in his late 20s or 30s. He was not known to law enforcement and it wasn’t clear why he chose to attack the ambassador’s residence or if he even knew the residence belonged to the Peruvian ambassador.

In a statement on Wednesday, the Peruvian embassy said the incident is being investigated.