Man Gets Slap On Wrist After Threatening GOP Official With Death

A man who threatened to kill Republican U.S. Representative Matt Gaetz will only receive probation for his act.

Allan Poller, a 24-year-old resident of New Hampshire, pleaded guilty back in October to the charge of transmitting in interstate commerce a threat to injure the person of another. He left a voicemail for Gaetz, the Florida member of the House, of “coming for the gays.”

Late last week, Poller received his official sentence in a federal court. He will only have to pay $500 fine and spend three years on probation.

While Poller was a student at Keene State College in March of 2023, he called Gaetz’s office in Washington, D.C., and left him an angry voicemail. He said, in part:

“I just want to let you know, Representative [Name], if you keep on coming for the gays, we’re going to strike back, and I guarantee you, you do not want to f*** with us.”

In the criminal affidavit, the Federal Bureau of Investigation redacted the Congress member’s name. Gaetz has previously confirmed that he was the one who was left the voicemail, though.

On his own podcast “Firebrand,” Gaetz previously played out one of the snippets of Poller issuing the death threat to him, which was left on the voicemail at around 12:20 a.m. on March 29, 2023.

Gaetz said on the podcast that the voicemail Poller left said:

“We will kill you if thats what it takes. I will take a bullet to your f***ing head if you f*** with my rights anymore. And then if you want to keep going down that path, you know who’s next.”

Over the weekend, Gaetz reacted to Poller’s sentence, telling Fox News Digital:

“I believe in redemption and forgiveness. I hope he finds a better path.”

Poller was arrested on April 3, only a few days after he left the voicemail.

According to prosecutors, Poller admitted that he indeed called Gaetz’s office in the nation’s capital and left the threatening voicemail. He told investigators that at the time he placed the call, he was drinking. He became angry while he was watching some videos on TikTok, the popular social media platform.

Prosecutors had also previously said that the charging statute for the crime levied against Poller was no more than five years behind bars, a fine of as much as $250,000 and three years of supervised release.

In the sentencing memo for the case, Poller’s attorney wrote:

“[Poller] has used the catastrophic effect of his actions as a catalyst to begin a new path in his life. He has strengthened his bond with his family and has completely accepted recovery into his life.”

The U.S. Attorney’s Office also backed Poller in its sentencing memo, writing:

“[Poller] is a young man who has faced dramatic challenges in his life but had no prior contacts with the criminal justice system. He has also already faced significant consequences as a result of his conduct, arrest and plea in this case.”